Re: FAQ needed??? Was MOWOG angered!!!

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpatton@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: FAQ needed??? Was MOWOG angered!!!
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:19:04 -0400
Hey Guys I have started a FAQ, about 9 months ago and have recently been
trying to update it.  Sorry the junk on my webpage is old like 6 months
old, but I'll upload the new FAQ soon.

Input appreciated, I have covered the basic stuff in the current (website)
version of the FAQ like MOWOG, and LBC, and that garbage; but it is nothing
more yet.

> > We need a FAQ for this kind of stuff.  I've een on this list for a
> > couple of years off and on, and I must have heard this discussion 20
> > times.  I'm not bothered if someone doesn't know the answer, but if
> > there were a FAQ everyone had to read when they got on the list, we
> > could avoid the "what does MOWOG or MG stand for" threads.
>
> I JUST started working on a Sprite-Midget FAQ based on the mailing list
> archives and the MG Enthusists BBS Archives last weekend.

I takes lots of work, I have 18 hours a day for the next 3 months :-)

> I am going through the posts trying to figure out what would be needed,
> but I think that one for the whole group would be to big.  I seems,
> after looking at all the information that is present.

Done...started 9 months ago.

> That it would be a good idea to do a general one that covers items that
> car the same or at least similar in all British cars, i.e. LBC's, DPO's,
> MOWOG, MG, Tuning SU's, ect. Then follow it up with a marque model
> specific one i.e Midget/Sprite, MGB, MGA, Triumph TR6, Healey 3000's.

If anyone wants certain info to be included please email it to me.

> I have a copy of the BMW FAQ (way to big, covers all models) and the RX7
> FAQ (they divide it into the "generations" of the car).  I really think
> these seem to be good resources to thier owners.
>
> All that being said.  I am going to struggle through the Sprite/Midget
> one I am working on, despite te fact that I am not qualified to judge if
> the advice from the posts is good or bad.  Further more, in the
> exceptionally limited knowlegde I do have, 1500 Midgets are as alien to
> me as a chevy would be.  I just haven't every ridden in one, much less
> looked under the hood.
>
> This really should be in the hand of qualified people probablly, and I
> haven't even though about dealing with the copyright problems besides
> leaving the posters name with the info.  I am not sure if legally I can
> use the information from the team-net servers, or the MG enthusists BBS
> archive.  The MG enthusists BBS archive has a pretty explict warning
> after each post:

Yeah the Guys that run the MG Cars Enthusiasts' Ltd. Site are real bitchs
about copyrights, DON'T use anything from thier site, they'll put your ass
in a sling and drag you to England for a public beheading.

>         This page has been produced by Information Providers Limited
> WebMaster
>         c MG Cars Enthusiasts' Club Limited. All rights reserved.

Yup!  They were all over my site the other day and found 1 violation of
copyright, they were correct EVEN though the object in question was HIGHLY
modified by me.

> I'm pretty sure I would need to get their permission.

Save your self the time, use the AH email List Archives from SOL, I think
it is FTP only.

> I figure that if I build it and get denied the permission to use it
> (especially since it's coming from two sources). I'll have a good
> resource for my own use, and I will have learned a bunch of much needed
> facts about the LBC's I love.
>
> Any suggestions on how best to do this would be appreciated, no promises
> that i will finish this one even, but how nice it would be to be able to
> RTFM for those same old questions.  I know that I have had several
> beginner questions, and have been searching the archives to avoid asking
> the overly basic ones.

Were ya gonna post the FAQ, I'll be happy to post it on my site.  And if
you need it supply 5MBs of space and an email, but that is later down the
line.

http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg (soon to be wirewheel.com)

Regards,

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net