Re: Where'd all the fluid go? (Was questioning my faith)

To: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Subject: Re: Where'd all the fluid go? (Was questioning my faith)
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:35:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, tallen wrote:

> Well, this mourning (pun intended) I ventured out to the garage to have a
> look at my clutch.  Still no pedal.  I stuck a screwdriver down into the
> master cylinder and NO FLUID!  So I feel I have to ask these 2 questions:
> 1.  Where did the fluid go?  The car has never been driven since we bled
> the brakes and overfilled the MS last September.
> 2.  Why do I seem to have brakes?  They share the same MS afterall.  Do I
> need to bleed the brakes again too?

You have brakes because the problem is in the clutch side.  This caused
the fluid to drain from the reservoir, but the brake side did not lose its
fluid.  It's likely, however, that some air has or will enter the brake
side, especially since you tried the brakes while the reservoir was empty.
If the problem is in the clutch slave cylinder or the line to it, you may
still need to bleed the brakes.  If the problem is in the clutch master,
you will have to rebuild the master, and then of course you will have to
bleed both the brake and clutch circuits.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629