Re: contact cleaner

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: contact cleaner
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:46:57 -0400
Paul Hunt wrote:

> Stiff locks and white crud are a winter/spring problem on my V8 which I
> have put down to weather and road conditions as it an all-year-round
> car.  Hardware shops here sell powdered graphite which is made
> specifically for lubricating locks, but being tight I cut a nice long
> point on a graphite pencil, then shave it down with the edge of a knive
> into a piece of paper with crease running from one side to the other.
> Hold the little lock cover open with a small screwdriver, put the
> paper crease into the open lock and gently tap the the graphite into
> the mechanism.  It may take a couple of days to work its way into the
> tumblers, but one application as soon as the lock or cover starts
> getting stiff lasts for months.
>
> If it's completely seized to start with then you will have to dismantle
> and clean all the many bits, but don't oil it afterwards, use powdered
> garphite.  Put a bit on finger or thumb and rub them together and you
> will see just how good a lubricant it is.
>
> PaulH.

No, no, no, no, NO!  Don't use graphite in locks.  It is a solid.  Even
the liquid kind contains "powdered" graphite.  It will "pack up" in
out-of-the-way areas of the lock, attract moistier and *eventually*
cause problems.

Use WD-40 several times a year, or for longer lasting protection use a
_teflon_ based lubricant like "Super Lube".   Just PLEASE don't use
graphite.  (Of any kind)

Bobby
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *