Re: Flushing Steering Rack

To: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Subject: Re: Flushing Steering Rack
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:12:22 -0500
Vince J. Pujalte wrote:

> Hello All,
>   I got under my "new" '76 B yesterday. I call him "Merlin."
>   The steering rack gaiters are both torn. (The car WAS basically free).
>   Sand is sticking to the beautifully greased protruding ends of my rack.
>   What should I flush the rack out with, and how?

Where the steering column connects to the steering rack, there is an
access plate on the top of the steering rack. Remove this plate and fill
with a light oil. Replace the plate and then turn the wheels full tilt
each direction. This will force the oil out through the ends of the
rack. Repeat a few times until you feel all has been rinsed out. Refill
with a few ounces of 90 weight.

You are correct in that it is a really bad thing to have cracked
gaitors. You quickly loose all lubrication in the rack and the gears
collect a lot of dirt. Before doig the above, you may (after securing
new gaiters) cut the old ones off and then rub the exposed rack ends
down with solvent to clean off the obvious dirt.

Replacing the gaitors can be a pain. You don't have to remove the tie
rod ends (sometimes real hard) but you do have to unscrew the tie rods.
Count the number of revolutions real careful and it won't effect toe-in
or any other part of the alignment.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)