Re: Advanced Questions

To: cdelling@ic.net
Subject: Re: Advanced Questions
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:27:37 -0500 (CDT)
Christopher M. Delling writes:

> My attention now turns towards tuning.  Some details:  Weber DGV, Crane
> Ignition, Lucas European spec (hot advance curve) dizzy, and Lucas 40KV
> Sport coil, old style cast-iron exhaust manifold, with O.E. style
> exhaust.
>
> [ Brit Tek says advance the hell out of the timing... ]
>
> I adjusted the timing to around 30-35=B0, and it did indeed improve power
> greatly, and no knock.
>
> So, what does the list think.  Did I get good advice, or am I
> potentially damaging somthing with this setup?

As far as I am aware, the "advance it until it pings" advice is sound.
In practical terms, this should be altered to "advance it until it stops
performing better", which may or may not coincide with the former
advice.  I recently advanced my stock 18V from 15deg BTDC to 20degBTDC
(at 1000 rpm), which made a distinct improvement.  I may go up to
25degBTDC next time I fiddle with it.

[ "I may one day go as high as 30degBTDC, but I really don't know what
  that would do to you..." ]

Additionally, the combination of the electronic ignition and the Sport
Coil should allow you to open up your spark gap for better performance.
Again, experimentation is the key here.

One question, however:  What sort of vacuum advance plumbing are you
using with the DGV?  This could make a negligible, noticeable, or
critical difference.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast