My faith was returning until...

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My faith was returning until...
From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:35:37 -0400 (EDT)
I want to thank all the people who have helped and encouraged me along the
way while I try to get my A on the road.  As you may recall the car was
running rich, especially the front carb, which was rich even when it was
leaned all the way out.  You were all right, it was the float stop, which
was more like 1/4" than 7/16".  I hope to get the carbs righted this
weekend.  As you also may recall, the clutch went away (in exchange for
finally getting my top on) do to an empty master cylinder.  This proved to
be not the slave cylinder (I don't think) but the flex hose which feeds
it, this thing (and the whole underside near it is covered with fluid).
The hose was ordered today.

I decided to replace the top seal on the MC too, because it also leaked,
and then to bleed the brakes.  Pumped the brakes a couple of times and
hear psssssss... big puddle under the right rear wheel.  The wheel
cylinders were all replaced last fall (1.6 miles ago), and it was leaking
between the cylinder and the banjo where the line and bleeder are.  The
bolt is tight (does anyone know what size bolt this is and what to use not
to round it off?).  I ordered 2 new bolts and copper washers to take these
apart and put them back together, but does any one know why this would
fail here?  I'm getting discouraged again.  It's like the MG in the Dell
"The top takes the clutch, the clutch takes the brakes..." only without
the HiHo.

Thanks for listening,

Tom '60 MGA 1600

ps.  Has anyone out there tried to bleed their (MG's) clutch with a Mighty
Vac?  I tried but fluid just ran into the thing like it wasn't a closed
system.  Is this because there is no pressure valve like the brakes have?
or Did I loosen the bleeder too much?  or Is my leaky clutch hose letting
air in?  I just got the thing (for this purpose) and have so far only used
it to empty my MC to replace the cover gasket.