Re: Webers and sparkplugs

To: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Webers and sparkplugs
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jeff!!

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Editors, Molecular Vision wrote:

> Will they tolerate the use of a lead substitute? I just bought a '65

I just don't know.  I do know that there is more than one accepted type
of lead substitute on the market, so one person may report poor results
with a lead substitute, while another person will have success, but be
using a different chemical without knowing it.  Like comparing apples,
and oranges... both good to eat, but that's about all that's common.

> Sprite. The PO, who was a good PO, always used a lead sub and suggested I
> do the same. I'm thinkking of changing to sport coil and Pt plugs.

You know, there's been a lot of controversy re the function of lead, and
the required amount of it in your fuel.  It turns out that valve
recession is 99.99999% dependant upon engine duty cycle.  In other
words, if you've got a car-port queen, you don't have to bother with a
lead sub., but if you've got a hwy daily driver (over 55 mph), then
you'll have to do something to help your valve seats live.  It's all
dependant on the temp that the exhaust valve has to work at..

>From a number of studies done on marine engines, it has been determined
that your engine needs less than 10% of the lead level in the fuel that
used to be provided.  Apparently, the other 90% was used to increase the
octane rating of the fuel; another subject entirely.

> Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD             '65 Sprite Mk III (funfunfun)
> Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision     '47 Cessna 140 (in pieces)
> http://www.emory.edu/molvis           '87 Horizon (pick-up with full cab)

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who can't handle reading glasses and contacts, let
                      alone "Molecular Vision" [what is MV?])