Re: MG gas mileage

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: MG gas mileage
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 01:56:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rick Morrison!!

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Rick Morrison wrote:

> >EMILY COWEN wrote:
> >> According to David Vizard's engine dyno tests, the "A" series engine
> >> develops LESS horsepower with fuel injection, than with SU's.

> I think the point that Vizard was making was that for some reason (which
> he didn't fully understand), the "A" series engine did not like a fine
> fuel mist.  In other section of the induction section, he mentions this
> phenomenom, in connection with the Fish carb.  Apparently there is
> something about the "A" engine that seems to thrive on a somewhat coarser
> fuel mist, which is what the SU provides.
>  Anybody got any ideas why this might be true?

Well, Vizard did allude to the fact that the head design was somewhat
outdated, and couldn't "breath" enough to satisfy the demands of the
engine.  Besides the siameesed ports destroying any ram effects, the
pushrod hole castings intruded into the port volume, and couldn't be
done away with easily.  Result: the engine needs all the air (21% O2>
that it can get.  A fine mist was thought to take up a proportionatly
greater volume than coarse droplets which would evaporate inside the
combustion chamber.  Who knows, it's only his educated guess at this
point!!

> OFM s want to know > (OFM= Old Fart Minds)

Old fart minds want to know because they don't trust technology the way
the young pups do...

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (technological faith vs Murphy's law... ooh ugly)