RE: How long on empty???

To: Wizzrd1001@aol.com, Wizzrd1001@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: How long on empty???
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 97 16:20:00 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-mgs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Sent:   Wednesday, June 25, 1997 11:33 AM
To:     mgs@autox.team.net
Subject:        How long on empty???

Just a quick question, approx. how many miles can you get out of your gas
tank while the needle is pointing to Empty?? I've unfortunately had to drive
it like this for about 10 miles, 1 or 2 times, and, I can pretty much watch
my gas gauge go down due to the 2 litre engine in my MG, how many miles can
<SNIP>
My guesstimate is that when the tanks begins to read empty, there are about 2
US gallons left.  I base this on having driven my 69B as a daily commuter for
about 5 years - often on empty trying to get to a gas station and filling up
to capacity with 2 gallons to spare!!  Having said that, I recently took a
friend for a quick drive around the area in my 69 C Roadster.  About 1 mile
from my driveway, on the return trip, - sput sput sput - out of gas - Yes I
have earned the title of chief knucklehead around here!!!!

you get per full tank??
Also, I've noticed, that when my tank is around a 1/2 tank, there are no
fumes whatsoever in the cabin, but, when the tanks full, or near empty, the
fumes are unbearable, to the point of headaches, and burning eyes, I try to
keep it around a half tank, or a little under a full tank.  Why are the fumes
so bad, I know my father has said these cars were always fumy, but, I think
this is a little much, could my carbon cannister need replaced, if so, where
is it?? Any other ideas? Thanks!  Ian Wisbon
<SNIP>

This one should be easy - the fumes are likely from a rusted tank. These tanks
like to rust on the top and when they do create a lot of fumes but not much
spillage that you can see (most of it spills on the highway).  Next time you
fill up and after you drive home (give it a chance to slosh around) - open the
trunk and sniff - if there is a strong odor of gas my $$$ on the rusted tank.
Other tell tale signs include large gas stains on the side of the tank as well
as spillage on you driveway/parking area along where you come to a stop.  You
can drop the tank and check this out without much bother.  If you find that
the tank is rusted through on top there are several remedies but none surpass
a new tank if it is affordable to you.  Other alternatives include boiling out
the tank and welding (let someone else do this) and there is the stuff that
pours into the tank and seals small opening (it works - for a while - but it's
a band aid and still requires tank removal).

Hope this helps

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT