Re: How long on empty???

To: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Subject: Re: How long on empty???
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
HI Wizzrd!!

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 Wizzrd1001@aol.com wrote:

> Just a quick question, approx. how many miles can you get out of your gas
> tank while the needle is pointing to Empty?? I've unfortunately had to drive

When I buy a "new to me" car, I fill up my lawn mower gas container, put
it in the trunk, and run the car 'till it's out of gas.  Then, 'cause
I'm an old fart, I write down where the needle is on the gauge.  In
fact, I write it down a couple of times, and spread the notes around
(wallet, glove box, console, etc.) so I can find one of them when I need
to.

Why, do you ask, would I do this??  I don't like running out of gas, or
filling up unnecessarily.  My wife's van had over 100 miles left to go
when it read empty.  The po had hit something and driven the bottom of
the plastic gas tank up into the gauge sending unit, then popped back
into shape.  Looked OK, but the gauge was bent upwards.  This tank holds
38 us gallons empty (ask me how I know), so I got in the habbit of
ignoring the "E" reading.  I repaired the gauge so now "E" is empty.

> Also, I've noticed, that when my tank is around a 1/2 tank, there are no
> fumes whatsoever in the cabin, but, when the tanks full, or near empty, the
> fumes are unbearable, to the point of headaches, and burning eyes, I try to
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, but it helps to keep you awake on those long midnight drives.

> keep it around a half tank, or a little under a full tank.  Why are the fumes
> so bad, I know my father has said these cars were always fumy, but, I think

When we dropped the tank on the donor '74, I couldn't believe the size
of the hole in the top of the gas tank.  I'd heard here that the tank
top's rusting was a weak spot of the "B", but I had no idea it could be
that extreme.  My daughter used to drive the '74, and complained about
the fumes.

> this is a little much, could my carbon cannister need replaced, if so, where
> is it?? Any other ideas? Thanks!  Ian Wisbon

What you are complaining about goes far beyond any "weeping" hoses, or
defective carbon canisters (which are at the other end of the car in the
engine compartment).  Bite the bullet, and drop the tank!!  Preferably
on less than 1/4 tank, because gas weighs in at app. 8 lbs per us
gallon.  The only patch I can think of is a product called "SealRight"
that comes in little yellow tubes, usually sold in hardware stores.
It's OK for small pinhole leaks, but for honking big holes, you could
try "Marine Tex" which is a two part epoxy that's able to handle gas.
Ultimatly, you'd be best to replace the tank, but these products will
allow you to budget for the tank replacement.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who never smokes in a "B")