Degrees Advanced?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Degrees Advanced?
From: BERNZO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:01:18 -0400 (EDT)
MG'o'philes,

I have read all of the latest thread concerning advancing the timing on the B
engine to as much as 30 - 35 degrees BTDC.

I am very much interested in a description of how and why the engine runs
"better" that far advanced. Is it a function of the new parts such as the
cam, pistons, and distributor? Didn't the factory know what it was doing?
What are the implications for the long term durability with the timing that
far advanced?

My  '74 BGT, with the 18V engine is newly rebuilt (less than 2,000 miles) and
was bored out .020 over, has the Brit-Tek high(er) compression pistons
(8.8:1), mild (but not stock) cam, and their "ultimate ignition kit" dizzy
(with points) is currently running about 20 - 22 degrees BTDC.

Quite frankly, while not completely satisfied with the engine's performance
but am somewhat reluctant to advance to something as high as 35 degrees BTDC
without a more learned opinion.

If advancing the timing an additional 10 to 15 degrees to increase
performance does not cause "problems" elsewhere, then I'm all for it.

Comments?

TIA
Dave Bernier