Re: Degrees Advanced?

To: BERNZO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Degrees Advanced?
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:41:02 -0500 (CDT)
BERNZO@aol.com writes:

> I have read all of the latest thread concerning advancing the timing on the B
> engine to as much as 30 - 35 degrees BTDC.
>
> I am very much interested in a description of how and why the engine runs
> "better" that far advanced. Is it a function of the new parts such as the
> cam, pistons, and distributor?

Absolutely not.  The last time my cam saw daylight was in May 1974, in
a little place called Abingdon.  But the motor loves ignition advance anyway.

> Didn't the factory know what it was doing?

Probably.

> What are the implications for the long term durability with the timing that
> far advanced?

I don't know.

I can ramble on about things like carburetion and ignition, sometimes
even drawing on factual information, but I have exactly ZERO clues about
ignition advance and its relationship to performance.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer very happy with 20deg BTDC @ 1000 rpm

Atheist #685                    "Whatever, baby."