Re: electric fuel pump.

To: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Subject: Re: electric fuel pump.
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:06:19 EDT

On Thu, 26 Jun 97 11:28:49 EST Jason_Wood@inc.com writes:
>     My MGB won't start and I've been working on it alone (no one to
>turn
>     the key while I'm in the trunk), so I have a couple of quick
>     questions:
>
>     Should the fuel pump work with the key in the "on" position but
>with
>     the engine not running?

Yes, until the carbs fill up, then the pump will shut off till the level
in the carbs drops and relieves the "back pressure" on the pump, at which
time it will again pump.
>     --or--
>
>     Does turning the key to "start" send more electricity to the fuel
>pump
>     to get it cranking?

No,  The pump power is supplied by the same fuse block connection as the
ignition, and when the "start" is engaged no higher voltage, amps, watts,
or smoke is sent to the pump.  It may be that, due to the draw of the
starter, actually LESS power gets to the pump on starter engagement.