Re: Some questions and parts requests - 67 Spridget

To: Patton Dickson <kpatton@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Some questions and parts requests - 67 Spridget
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Patton Dickson wrote:
<schnipp>
> 2.  We took the wings off after we found the timing chain is no longer
> aligned correctly, (new one gets ordered monday), and mine are just in
> terrible shape.  My 67 does not have sidelights on the front part of the
> bumper as the later 1275 cars had, I think they changed in 68.  I need
> to track down some replacements, especially for the right one, and saw
> that most parts places sell the same wing for all the 1275 years.  Is it
> that they just expect me to UPDATE my car to the new ones, or at least
> fill the holes for the side lamps?  Is my fender the same as the Sprite
> MKIII / Midget MkII Midget (without the chrome strip of course) there
> are many pieces on my car that were carryover from those model, (like
> the above dash and gauges)?  Does anyone have the fender(s) in question
> for my car?
<schnapp>

There is one difference in fenders not often talked about.  Earlier cars
have the turn signals a little higher than later ones.  Hard to notice
except when your car has two different ones.  I don't remember when this
was changed, but I could look it up in "Original Sprite and Midget".  The
book "Powertune the Sprite/Midget" has a picture of the authors car with
two different height turn signals.
I assume that presently available new fenders (WHEN they're available) are
the later type, but I am not usre if they have the side marker light
holes.  These fenders are new productions, so they might not have the
holes.

> 3.  My bonnet was rescued from a Midget junkyard car and lacks one very
> important item.  It doesn't have the holes to mount my winged emblem on
> the front.  If there was another Sprite around I guess that I could
> measure it to see where the cutting needs to take place, but since I
> don't have another Sprite around, does anybody have a suggestion of how
> I can get the measurements, and the best way to cut the holes when I do
> get them.

I you want me to, I could measure where on the hood the slots have to be.
The slot pattern you could get off the emblem itself.

> Oh yeah, when I took off the fenders, I found 2 wrenches and a
> screwdriver, it felt like Christmas.

I feel cheated!!!
I only found one screwdriver.  At least it was a Craftsman...

                                                           '67 Sprite