Re: IT Failed and a question

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: IT Failed and a question
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 22:38:44 -0400
Hi Larry,

> Major question - We went through the Delco etc replacements for the B is
> there a Delco or other alternator replacement for the 1500 Midget???

I have pasted a post (pasted a post?);^) from a fellow named Dan Masters
from Alcoa, TN who helped me get a Delco Remy onto my Midget. Mines a
1275 but it probably works the same as yours. If the wiring instructions
are different, he can be reached at DANMAS@aol.com
This is the text of his message and parts of mine that he answered.

I paid $22 dollars for my alternator, plus $2 for the adapter plug, plus
$15 core
charge, since I didn't have a trade in. Even if they were the same
price, you
would be better off using the standard unit, to retain the stock warning
light. When I bought mine, all I did was ask for a GM Alternator, and
the counter
man knew just what I wanted. Tell him you are putting it in a car that
did
not come with one, and you should have no problem getting the right one.
Just
be sure to ask for the adapter plug also. They are quite used to this,
because many rodders use them. (don't pay any attention to the
instructions
he may give you - often, they are wrong. My counter man was! He meant
well,
but was wrong never-the-less)

Wiring instructions couldn't be simpler. On the side of the unit, you
will
find two recessed terminals, and on the back, there is one large screw
terminal. The plug you get will have two wires coming from it, and will
only
fit in the slot one way. Just connect the brown/yellow wire (the small
one)
that now goes to your alternator to the plug wire that goes to terminal
1,
and connect the wire from the plug terminal 2 to the screw terminal on
the
back. The large brown wire also goes to this screw terminal. That's all
there
is to it.

BTW, point your browser to www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/

There are some pictures of my TR6/Ford 5.0 conversion project there that
you
might find interesting. You will see a GM alternator hanging off a Ford
engine!

Hope this helps. It helped me. Good luck

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)
71 MG Midget
http://www.geocities.com/Motorcity/Downs/5848