Re: Brakes and speed

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brakes and speed
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 22:08:55 -0700
Braking is a tad bit important on the mountian roads I drive, and the
single cylinder system on my Mk1 Midget gives me pause as I tend to drive
the loacal mountain roads pretty hard.  Anyone know of a way to converts a
Mk1Midgest to a dual braking system?

Greg

At 08:33 AM 6/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The most important thing being, get the brakes, checked up, upgraded and
>repaired as the most important thing.
>
>If you can't stop at any speed, then where will you be?  Redesigning the
>backends of other peoples cars, or power poles, etc.
>
>Before making a car faster, one should make it stop better first.  It's
>usually the last upgrade made, if ever.
>
>People let their brakes really go before they tend to do anything about them.
>
>When being a grease monkey in college, seeing people drive in and barely
>stop their car in the garage for a complete brake overhaul...
>
>It's pretty amazing how trashed brakes can get and still work, somewhat.

>At 06:11 AM 6/26/97 -0500, Dwade Clay Reinsch wrote:
>>Let me add my little .02 worth to this thread.
>>      1.  The engine modifications will enable the car to go faster.
>>      2.  The owner chose to make those modifications.
>>
>>      3.  Therefore, the owner can be expected to drive faster at
>>almost all times and places.
>>
>>      4.  So a brake checkup, up grade, service and repair *is* an
>>important modification, which has no mechanical connection to the engine
>>modifications.  The connection between more power/better brakes is
>>sitting in the driver's seat.  (With that five point competition seat
>>belt pulled up tight!)
>>
>>Dwade
>>Moved to Big D yesterday afternoon and the first thing I set up was the
>>computer!

>also
>almost
>>> >

>>> I don't know who wrote this part of the thread, but I'm curious now.
>>> How can any engine produce twice the stock power and have a lower top
>>> speed?  I guess it's possible that if the powerband distribution was
>>> changed significantly, this could happen, but I'm more inclined to
>>> believe it was the result of a transmission and/or rear end gear
>>> ratio change.  If so, what's the relevance?
>>>     I may be reducing the argument too much, but if an engine
>>> modification results in the car travelling faster at any given
>>> position, be it cruising down the highway, or 100 feet from a
>>> stoplight, some attention needs to be paid to the brakes to make sure
>>> they're still up to snuff.  If a new engine allows the car to get up
>>> to 50 mph between the stoplight and the nasty hairpin curve, whereas
>>> the old engine would only get the car to 30 in the same distance,
>>> then you're presenting the brakes with more of a challenge.
>>> Scott
>>>

>--
>Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
>jpquinn@cyberramp.net
>http://www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn/index.htm
>'62 Healey Sprite MKII HAN6L2874

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats