Re: 62 948 slave on 69 1275 tranny = Good Idea?

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: 62 948 slave on 69 1275 tranny = Good Idea?
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
Jay,
installing a slave cylinder with a smaller bore will make the clutch move
faster and heavier.  Less pedal movement is required, but the pedal is
harder to push.  In the course of my 5-speed conversion, this is exactly
what happened and I wouldn't recommend it.  It is harder to take off from
a stop smoothly, the clutch is "touchy".  Also, more pedal pressure is
required and this is not in the spirit of the Spridget, IMO.
However, since I don't use your exact setup, I don't know if the effect
would be as pronounced in your case as in mine.

Ulix

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:

> I know that the 62 948 clutch slave is a smaller bore diamater than the
> original 69 Sprite and 72 Midget 1275 larger bore clutch slave.
>
> Is it OK or a good idea to use a rebuilt 62 948 small bore clutch slave to
> push the lever instead of the 69/72 clutch slave larger bore to push the
> lever?
>
> What could go wrong?  Or rather, what is not advisable?  If any?  Does it
> really need that larger bore to do an adequite job, or is the smaller one
> in good working order just fine?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Q'bert
> --
> Jay Quinn     Systems Engineer
> jpquinn@cyberramp.net Pager: 972.319.7611
> http://www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn/index.htm
> 1962 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite HAN6L2874

                                                           '67 Sprite