Sprite Timing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sprite Timing
From: SMitch1441@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 01:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
I have a 1963 Sprite MkII with a 1098cc engine.  The engine was completely
overhauled only 2000 miles ago.  I am trying to time the engine
stroboscopically rather than using the "static timing technique".  According
to my Haynes manual the timing for this engine is 8 degrees BTDC at 600 rpm.
 The problem is I can't get the engine to idle that slow in order to set the
timing.  The engine doesn't idel smoothly and stalls at this rpm.  I have
already adjusted the dwell angle on the distributor to 60 degrees which is
the spec according to Haynes.

Can anyone tell me what the timing might be at a higher rpm; say even idle of
1000 rpm.  I realize that the centrifugal advance will be encountered at this
higher rpm.  I used the static method to get the timing in the ball park but
the timing still appears to be slightly advanced.