Painting

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Painting
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 19:51:43 -0500 (CDT)
As with all things in life there are the good and the not so good. And
so it goes for Maaco. I saw a Maaco job on a MGB, done in the
Wallingford, CT area. It was horrendous. I guess you can compound out
the grit but the pock marks were every where.

On the other hand I saw a Maaco job on a B here on Long Island that was

beautiful. The owner told me he had done all the prep himself and then
brought it over and had them prep-sol, prime it and spray. That was
$250 and then he wet sanded it and had them spray again for an
additional $150 the results were great.

Safety Fast, David Deutsch

>Funny this should come up.  There was a thread on the rec.autos.tech
>newsgroup about Maaco and other low dollar paint shops.  It seems that

many
>agreed that you can actually get quite nice results from these shops
if you
>spend the time to prep the car properly.  For the MGB, consider
removing
>all chrome, and lighting and bumpers as well as the top and windshield

if
>possible.  Do the bondo work and priming, and essentially bring the
car to
>them, ready for a simple cleaning and then a paint job.
>
>After you get the car back, just start working on the car; wet
sanding,
>buffing, polishing.  Consider how much time you would spend working on

>car performing prep work, as well as time spent buffing and polishing,

and