Re: Turning engine -Reply

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Turning engine -Reply
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:20:44 -0700 (PDT) (19:20 UT)
>I was surprised to see 2 replies which suggested jacking up the car and
 turning the rear wheel, and 6 which suggested rolling the car in gear.
 Maybe this is a difference between a B and a Sprite, but am I the only
 one who turns the motor by tightening up the fan belt and putting a
 wrench on the alternator (or generator) pulley bolt?  (Yes, it does help
 to pull the plugs first.)  I've done this on every solid-lifter car I've
 owned and have yet to ruin a generator bearing.  You *do* have to
 remember to return the fan belt to its original tension when you're
<finished.

 Well, maybe it's me, but it seems much ado about nothing.
I remove the plugs, press down on the belt on the side of the fan
pulley that I want to turn towards to give a little more friction, and
gently use the fan blade to turn the crank.  I have a plastic fan and
I've never yet broken a blade.  For some reason, which side of the
pulley you press down on the belt is important.  Press to the left of
the pulley while rotating to the right, and it just slips.  Press to the
right while rotating right, and it works like a charm!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*