Ignition Woes -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignition Woes -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:22:27 -0400
>>> <wake@DIXIENET.COM> 07/08/97 10:25pm >>>
2.  The new Distributor Cap I purchased will not fit my distributor.
Moss sells two caps, I guess I will buy the other one.

Before you go that route, have you checked at your local parts store for
a distributor cap?  Even my dinky hometown parts guy got me one, it just
had to be delivered from the warehouse.  Called him before lunch, picked
it up on the way home from work.  I've found tuneup parts are much more
available than I was led to believe.  Local has got to be cheaper than
Moss, and no waiting for delivery.

3.  The electronic ignition system, has two wires on it.  One says goes
to the positive and one to the negative side of the coil.  My coil has
two sides, one with two wires and one side with a single wire.  Which
side is which?  Which wires do I keep?

Look at the "top" of your coil - as if you were looking down into the
high tension socket.  Your coil should have a little embossed plus sign
next to one terminal, a minus sign by the other.  Borrow your wife's
compact mirror if your coil is mounted terminals pointing down.  I'm
experiencing a temporary brain cramp, but I believe the positive side
goes to the distributor, and the negative to ground (in a negative
ground car).

4.  Anyone have any experience with this system and would like to share
some advice with me.  Should I set the advance to anything different
then "normal"?

Can't speak about the pertronix per se, but a recent thread had people
agreeing to set timing way advanced from "normal."  Some of the people
agreed to 25 - 30 degrees advance.  Mine is running about 18-20 degrees
advanced (specs say 12 is normal) without a hint of spark ping.  In my
teen years, I bought a performance distributor for a volkswagen.  When I
asked the parts guy where to set the timing, he said "If it pings, it's
too far advanced.  If it hesitates, it's too far retarded."  One of the
best pieces of auto advice I ever got.

Sorry for the extremely long post...

Yeah, me too, but I'm chalking it up to personality.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - which makes points with the wife.