Re: Ignition Woes -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ignition Woes -Reply
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:47:24 -0700
At 09:22 AM 7/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>3.  The electronic ignition system, has two wires on it.  One says goes
>to the positive and one to the negative side of the coil.  My coil has
>two sides, one with two wires and one side with a single wire.  Which
>side is which?  Which wires do I keep?
>>>>
>Look at the "top" of your coil - as if you were looking down into the
>high tension socket.  Your coil should have a little embossed plus sign
>next to one terminal, a minus sign by the other.  Borrow your wife's
>compact mirror if your coil is mounted terminals pointing down.  I'm
>experiencing a temporary brain cramp, but I believe the positive side
>goes to the distributor, and the negative to ground (in a negative
>ground car).

===Reply===
Brain cramp diagnosis confirmed!  <<---joke  :^)

Negative goes to ground, right, but the coil grounds through the points in
the distributor.  The '+' side is wired to the hot lead from the ignition
and/or ballast resistor if equipped.  (On negative-ground cars).

If on the off chance you have an older British coil, it may be marked "SW"
and "CB", short for 'switch' and 'contact breaker'.  The CB side goes to the
coil, the SW side to ignition lead.

Mark Moburg
MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
New York, New York