Re: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (If You Follow Me)

To: scc@kodak.com
Subject: Re: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (If You Follow Me)
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:18:47 EDT
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:19:49 -0400 scc@kodak.com writes:

>Problem: After driving a couple of miles the car starts belching thick
>blue smoke for anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds....then stops the
>smoke screen routine.  Just changed oil(10W-40) & filter.
>
>Questions:  Is this a standard MGB "feature"? Am I hosed & looking
>forward to major engine work?

10W40 is probably aggravating the problem, which sounds like worn valve
guides or rings. As the engine gets warm, clearances tighten up and
(theoretically) the oil gets "thicker".

Try changing the oil again, using straight 40wt. (Valvoline Racing is
good).

BTW, we never recommend anything thinner than Castrol GTX 20-50, even in
rebuilt engines; the 10 wt oil is most suited to modern, tight-tolerance
engines.

Lawrie
British Sportscar  Center
www.britcars.com