Calling all emissions experts

To: "mglist" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Calling all emissions experts
From: "SLUPECKI A." <ajslupecki@mke9.ra.rockwell.com>
Date: 10 Jul 1997 13:34:08 -0500
Lurk mode off...

I got the big "FAIL" on my emissions test today.  I have a 78B with all
emissions junk in place except cat, stock z-s carb and choke.  I passed the HC
reading, but flagged CO.  Allowable = 90, actual = 123.8 grams per mile.
Passed the under the hood check and they didn't ask about the cat.

Other important info: new cap, rotor, plug wires, carb rebuild, air filter,
etc within 1000 miles.  Runs great, idles about 1000.  Starts easily cold or
hot.  Idle is lumpy at cold start but smooths out nicely.

My guess is this is caused by running rich???  Is this as simple as leaning
out the carb with the special tool for the Z-S?  I haven't checked the damper
oil lately.   Other things I should be checking?

Andy Slupecki
78B (in WI)

PS --- Emission checks here are done at stations run by the state.  Three free
tries, then it's $10 each time.  I do know a good MG mechanic in town, but
would like to eliminate any simple fixes first.