Re: parts solvent

To: Mike Lewellen <mlewellen@fruit.com>
Subject: Re: parts solvent
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:19:12 -0400
Mike Lewellen wrote:

> I'm working on my MGB (the clutch is out) and restoring a 59 MGA.  I
> just read a thread where someone referred to stoddard solvent.  What
> is
> that?  I have purchased a parts cleaner but I have not put any solvent
>
> in it yet. Where can you purchase the solvent used in parts cleaners.
> I know Safety-Kleen provides a service for commercial garages but I
> don't know if similar solvent is available on the consumer market.
>
> I know I can use kerosene( too slimy) as a last resort but I prefer a
> solvent if I can find it.
>
> Anybody got any ideas???

  Mike,
     I just went and checked: Castrol calls the product "Super Clean".
They suggest diluting it 8:1 for parts washers (I use 3:1). There is a
caution note regarding extended contact with painted surfaces or
aluminum. The Castrol part # is 723D. I paid $7.99 for the last gallon.
The UPC code is 79191 00723.

Bud Krueger