Re: parts solvent

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: parts solvent
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:50:13 -0700
At 09:56 AM 7/10/97 CST, you wrote:
>A good solvent that I use in my parts washer is varsol, mfg. and sold
>by EXXON.  It is non flamable.  It will burn but is not explosive
>like gasoline or even karosene.  It is very drying and will dry out
>your skin if you have your hands in it for very long.  Rubber gloves
>disintegrate if dipped in it.

I'll second this.  We use varsol at work in industrial parts washers and I
can vouch for it's effectiveness.  If you want to go whole hog get some
"Electrosol" for a final wash.  We clean virtually everything in varsol to
remove heavy grease, oil and accumulated crud, then rinse with electrosol to
remove all residue.  This product dries in seconds, literaly, and will
displace all oil, solvents and water.  The sales guy once dipped a running
120 V motor into a bucket of this stuff with no ill effects. The downside is
it's somewhat toxic and can disolve some plastics faster that a blow torch.
A more reasonable second wash is laquer thinner, available at any decent
hardware shop.  When using these or any other solvent wear rubber gloves and
safety glasses and make sure you've got good ventilation.

Go with the varsol. You can buy it in 40 l jugs at Home Depot.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT