SU Carb piston stuck -Reply

To: Trmgafun@aol.com, Healeys@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU Carb piston stuck -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:28:55 -0400
I personally *have* used coca-cola to unstick U-joint caps.

Have you ever heard the tale about leaving a tooth in a glass of cola
for a day, and it disinitegrates?  Seems to work with rusted steel.  I
learned the trick back in the '70's working with an English guy who
collected old Buicks.  Finding some particularly solid U-joint cups,
he'd set them on the workbench and pour some coke in the outer
depression.  We'd go back to it some time later, and be able to complete
the job.

Now I can't say what it will do to aluminum, but it may be worth a try.
It'll make a good story in any case.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - running half of a straight eight.
>>> <Trmgafun@aol.com> 07/10/97 07:40am >>>
Greetings,

I decided to refurbish a pair of SU carbs that I had on the shelf that I
plan
to use for a back up.  One of the pistons is stuck.  I have cleaned it
in
stoddard solvent, then have soaked it real well with WD40 for about a
month
but it is still stuck.  I'm afraid that if I force it too much, I might
damage it.  Any ideas?

Scott