Re: SU Carb piston stuck

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU Carb piston stuck
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:38:56 -0700
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I decided to refurbish a pair of SU carbs that I had on the shelf that I plan
>> to use for a back up.  One of the pistons is stuck.  I have cleaned it in
>> stoddard solvent, then have soaked it real well with WD40 for about a month
>> but it is still stuck.  I'm afraid that if I force it too much, I might
>> damage it.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Scott

===Reply===
Might be worth a try:  There is an "air gun" which consists of a rubber
nozzle nosepiece and a handpiece with a trigger - you connect this to your
air supply.  Then by putting the nose piece in an orifice and holding in,
you can give the trigger a squeeze and pop things out.  This was designed to
be used, for example, on brake calipers.  You put the nosepiece in the brake
hose hole, and Pop! goes the Weasel.  Or piston.  If you can get at the air
bleed in the lower side of the piston (where it's drilled through to the
upper part of the chamber), try putting the damper in the top and screwing
it down fairly tight (to make it air proof), and then giving a hit of air to
the bleed hole.

A brake shop or machine shop should have one of these; if you talk nice to
them, and explain your problem, they'll probably be willing to give it a
shot for you.  Finding out whether it works or not shouldn't take more than
about 10 seconds.

Mark Moburg
MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
New York, New York