Cool(ing)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cool(ing)
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:32:17 -0400
Well,

I thought I would report the results of a little experiment I ran
today.  I have a 77B with stock twin electric fans.  I was running a
180° thermostat.  My thought was that I was running a little hot, and my
temp gauge seemed to support this, although I was uncertain about the
accuracy of my gauge.

I swapped in a 160° stat.  Installed a Type k thermocouple into the top
radiator hose.  Here are the results:  Thermostat opened at 158°.  Gauge
was 1/4 of the way between C and H.  Fans turned on at 190°  Gauge
slightly past 1/2 (towards H).  Fans turned off at 165°  Second fan
cycle was nearly identical to the first (± 2°).  Gauge needle in center
of C & H = 182°.  Disconnected the fan, and allowed the needle to reach
the red (H), coolant temp. 223°.

General observations:

The car runs noticably cooler with 160° stat.  I was not expecting this,
as once up to temperature, the stat never closed, but nonetheless it did
run cooler.

Performance of the fans was much better than expected.  A twenty degree
drop in temps at idle happens in less than 2 minutes.

The gauge is very slow responding.

So I guess you could say I have too much time on my hands.

Regards,

Chris Delling