Re: HS4 Carb Problem

To: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: HS4 Carb Problem
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 02:31:48 -0400
Arthur Pfenninger wrote:
> To determine if you have a vacuum leak spray carb cleaner on the
> suspected area while the car is running. If the speed changes you have a
> leak.

  From my experience, this works well. The speed will go down
if you get the leak. A bit of carb cleaner near the intake
can make the engine cough and then quit right away, in fact.

  However, something else I noticed is that spraying it
on the intake manifold will cause the idling to slow
down a bit, even without leaks. I suspect this is because
the evaporating cleaner cools an intake pipe briefly,
which causes "cold running"-type symptoms for a second
or two.

  So use it, but if your idle slows down when you get some
on the intake manifold, that's probably not a leak if it's
barely noticeable and goes away about the same speed as
the cleaner evaporates.

> Do this before the car gets hot to avoid a chance of a fire.

  Extra precaution never hurts, but is carb cleaner so flammable?

  Since it seems to kill the engine if the intake gets a whiff
of it, I would seem to think "not really". Maybe I'm a reckless
hooligan but I've never had a problem. I kind of prefer doing
it while the engine is warm so that the idle is very smooth
and changes are most noticeable.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada