CD player (was Questions)

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: CD player (was Questions)
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:26:20 -0400
miker15@juno.com wrote:

> Been doing a lot of work lately and a few imponderables have come up!
> 1)I bought a nice CD player for the GT (hey im a purist but toons is a
> MUST!)

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

> the problem is i  cant work out how to wire it in - it is replacing a
> 1970 am radio so not much help there!

Wiring (if you have the directions or at least know what wires go to
what, it shouldn't be hard.   If not...

Coming out of the stereo ***usually***  is something like:

Red  = Positive - constant power - retains clock and channel mem.
Yellow = switched power - turns off stereo when you shut off the car
(wish mine did that)
Black = ground (negative)
Blue =  dash lights - dims the display at night
Green = power antena  (Yeah, right.)

Speaker wires by trial and error.

Now for my question...

I would REALLY like a CD player too.  B U T, I don't want to hack out a
big section of the dash.

Okay, so it's two questions.

1) Just out of curiousity, (assuming it's available), what does that
section of dash cost if I wanted to replace it later?

2) Has anyone done this, (cut the dash to accomodate a modern car
stereo)?  What did you use to cut the dash?  How hard was it do?

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster  (AM FM 8 Track...  you all know the rest)
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *