Re: Gas Leak...Yikes!!

To: DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com
Subject: Re: Gas Leak...Yikes!!
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:57:27 EDT

On Mon, 14 Jul 97 22:05:08 UT "David Stecher" <DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com>
writes:
>OK,
>
>Yes I have a gas leak.  It is in the back of my 73 BGT.  I filled up
>today and the fumes were very bad.  got home and looked by spare tire
and there is a little puddle by the filler tube and in right fender.  My
questions are:

>1)  does the vapor canister in right rear fender supposed to have any
>charcoal in it like the one in front?  No- it's basically a container to
condense gas vapor and let it run back into the tank.

>2)  How difficult is it to change out the gas tank?  I just changed
>leaf >springs so is it much harder than that?      No, it's not too
bad.  Your tank has probably got a zillion holes in the top.  Why?  Dirt,
salt, water, etc., accumulate on it.  Hard to wash so it rusts.  When you
do install your new tank, (Don't fool w/ trying to fix the old one) put a
good undercoat on top of the tank before  you put it in.  Start w/ a
nearly empty tank and have some place to dispose of the old gas or be
prepared to strain it and reuse it.  It is heavier than it looks,
especially w/ 3 or 4 gallons of gas in it.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com