Re: Gas Leak...Yikes!!

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Gas Leak...Yikes!!
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 15:40:01 -0400
>From: "David Stecher" <DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com>
>Subject: Gas Leak...Yikes!!
>
>OK,
>
>Yes I have a gas leak.  It is in the back of my 73 BGT.  I filled up today
>and
>the fumes were very bad.  got home and looked by spare tire and there is a
>little puddle by the filler tube and in right fender.  My questions are:
>
>1)  does the vapor canister in right rear fender supposed to have any
>charcoal
>in it like the one in front?  When I knock on it it sounds empty.

The rear 'canister' is a vapor condenser if you will.  In theory what it
is supposed to to is catch warm vapors from the tank and allow them to
condense and run back into the tank.  It also performs a second function
as preventing liquid fuel from working its way up the line into the
charcoal canister and causing it to stop working.

>2)  How difficult is it to change out the gas tank?  I just changed leaf
>springs so is it much harder than that?

You mean that the tank is actually leaking into the trunk and not the
filler neck seal or the hose to the vapor separator?  Sorry, I have not
taken my tank out yet.

>Any other help or suggestions will be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>David Stecher
>73 BGT "Fergie"

John D. Knight III                           '73 MGB (under restoration)

     "If uniqueness makes us who we are, why be like everyone else?"

Yes, I do get the digest version of the list.