Re: Musings

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Musings
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:38:44 -0500
Bill Eastman wrote:

> <snip>
> Nancy and I went for a nice long drive Friday night. I am almost ashamed to
> admit that Nancy asked me what needed to be replaced next and I answered
> "nothing."
> <snip>

Bill, Bill, Bill. And to think you can write as if you are an intellectual! It's
a good thing I subscribe to this list so that such impending calamities don't
befall the enlightened, also.

When you reach that occasional pentacle of maintenance when both the mechanicals
and bodywork have attained relative perfection, and if your mate queries as to
what else might be needed, you never, ever, say "nothing."

She obviously believes that you have done a decent job on the car. The fact that
she even made the query is tacit approval of the success you have achieved (and
will likely be all you're gonna get). So now is not the time to bask in your
achievements you doddering old fool! You must make plans to attain the next
level of LBC nirvana!

When your life's mate makes such a remark, the proper response should be
something similar to the following:

1.) Well, honey, I was thinking the next project would be to replace the seat
foams and diaphragms so that the ride would be more comfortable.

2.) What I would really like to do is buy a new top so that we can enjoy the car
more often even when the weather isn't ideal.

3.) Actually, I'm pretty much done but I should be planning for new tires to
make sure we are safe on these drives.

Please, please, gentlemen, you must be more introspective when protecting your
hobby! Surely you would have been more thoughtful if she had queried "Do you
think that woman over there is attractive?" or the classic "Does this outfit
make me look fat?"

> The main ingredient is a tire sealer/inflator so that I don't have to carry
> the spare, jack, lug wrench, etc.

And you have wire wheels? Good idea. That way when you report your car stolen
the police can recover excellent show prints from the pool of goo that is 500
yards down the road from where you used the sealer/inflator.

>> I also have a tow strap in case I come across any TR-6's --

Excellent idea. You can help diagnose the weird caster/camber phenomena on the
IRS  as you get escorted back to the garage.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The most effective form of  birth control for feminists? Their personalities."