RE: Stereo Installation

To: "Feldman, Jack" <jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Stereo Installation
From: "Lishego, Michael" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:09:14 EST
From:           "Feldman, Jack" <jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com>
To:             "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date sent:      Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:02:39 -0500
Send reply to:  "Feldman, Jack" <jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com>

Mike Lishego asked about installing speakers  in the "area where your
top frame bolts on". Yes. Last Monday I had a system installed in my C
roadster, and there is space for a 4" speaker in a pre existing hole in
that area. You can cut holes in the side panel, and recover the panel if
you change your mind later.

Since everyone else is wasting bandwith, I thought I would describe my
system. The goal was to be able to hear the radio, which means LOUD. Not
quality. Shaggy Dog follows:

Picked up a Sony AM/FM Tape deck cheap at a Hamfest. The unit was NOS,
and cheap. Bought a pair of Jensen 4" speakers for half price at a going
out of business KMART. We have a club member who is not just a
professional installer, but an artist at what he does. I need large trim
rings when I work, he needs none at all. Had to wait for him to finish
his Midget, but it was worth the wait.

I had listened to a pair of 4"s at a Wal-Mart and decided I didn't like
the sound. I asked what the largest size he could install, and I think
he said 6X9. I settled on a pair of 6 1/2 inchers and set off to find
the Pioneers he recommended. The important thing was that the grill had
to be flat, not domed. I tried several places and couldn't find the ones
he described. Only some for over $100. From the above purchases you must
have deduced I am frugal. In desperation I checked out the current RS
sale speakers and they had the required flat grills, 50W RMS output, and
seemed to be the best price/cost ratio. I bought them.

When the time came to show them to him I told them they were from RS,
and he didn't look impressed. What did impress him was that when
unpacked he said that except for minor changes the looked like the
Pioneers that he recommended, even to the flat grills, so all was OK.

He put the 61/2s in the kickplates on either side. He said if I changed
my mind later I could recover the panels and no one would know. That
proved prophetic. Before cutting the sheet metal I was told to take a
walk because what he was going to do wasn't pretty. I wouldn't recommend
the job to an amateur.

I had been planning to give him the 4" speakers, but he said he had a
better use for them. We took the hood frame and side panels under them
off, and found the places he said were ideal for 4" speakers.
Unfortunately someone had anticipated us, and under the left panel
someone had cut a hole for a large speaker, and no one knew because the
panel wasn't cut. BTW the Jensen 4"ers  sound great.

I did this so I could hear the radio, but the result was great. I never
had anything but the manufacturers radios in my cars, but this is great.
I can hear, and the quality is great! The only problem is that I have to
turn the radio down at stoplights or sound like a pimply faced looser.

Keep up the good work.

Jack

Jack,
    Thanks for the information.  I wouldn't dare try this myself
either, but it's good to know that someone else was thinking on the
same lines as me...

                            ~Mike "Not pimply faced, but a loser"
                            Lishego