Re: Spridget speed

To: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Spridget speed
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:57:46 -0400
> How fast do you drive your Spridget on the highway? Mine seems pretty
> wrapped out at 55. Can the drvetrain take higher speeds for hours on
> end?
> What are your experiences?

I probably drove my 1500 Midget much faster than you can drive your
sprite, so this may not help you, but with some minor engine mods
(boring, grinding, etc, nothing expensive), I was able to drive 75-80
MPH with the RPMs not being too high, for 7.5-8 hours straight only
stopping for gas.  Did this once a month for a year or so (actually,
twice a month, considering I had to turn around and go back).  Sometimes
got up to 85-90 when I was feeling daring.  The car never broke down,
never over-heated, and never used oil.  I got about 28-32 MPG depending
on conditions and my driving.  That car met its match with a truck that
made a left turn across my front passenger fender tho.  May it rest in
peace.

adrian

75 midget--  under a tarp providing refuge for spiders
76 midget--  the body, anyway, in paint shop soon to become the 75

--
J. Adrian Barnes

"Anything tastes like chicken
 with the right seasoning!"