Re: Brake bias

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Brake bias
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 dmeadow@juno.com wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:20:20 -0400 Jurgen Hartwig
> <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu> writes:
> >At 08:40 AM 7/16/97 -0600, phil sims wrote:
> >>The bad news is that MY rears locked and the back end slid harmlessly
> >about
> >>45 degrees before stopping.
> >>
> >>OK, so do I back off on the rear adjusting screws a click or two, or
> >is
> >>there more to keeping the light back end rolling during a "panic"
> >stop?
> >>
> I had some trouble with my back brakes locking up on my MGA.  Came to
> find out that the differential oil was leaking into the brake drums via a
> bad seal, which is a fairly common problem on A's.  Check inside your
> brake drums for oil.
>
> David Littlefield
> Houston, TX

When your rear brakes are oiled, your front brakes will lock in a panic
stop and the front will dive more in normal braking.
Adjusting the rear brakes will not change brake bias.  The design
of the hydraulic system will ensure similar brake fluid pressure front and
rear.  To change brake bias, you need to install a valve in the rear brake
circuit to lower the pressure downstream of the valve.
Your problem might also be worn shocks or too soft springs allowing too
much weight transfer to the front.

                                                           '67 Sprite