Re: Brake bias

To: kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu
Subject: Re: Brake bias
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:05:38 -0500
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:17:35 -0600 (MDT) Kevin Sullivan
<kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu> writes:

>Yeah I need to go buy a can of brake cleaner to get all of that oil
>off
>the shoes and drum.  How does oil make the brakes lock up?  It seems
>that
>they would just not brake.
>
>Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
>Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
>Albuquerque NM USA

I don't think brake cleaner will work on those shoes, once they get oil
soaked they are ruined.  I'm not an expert, but as I recall, the oil
loosens up the shoe lining and makes it soft, kinda like water and
cardboard.   I believe that's also the reason why they tend to grab and
lock up, versus a dry, hard, relatively smooth surface a lining in good
condition has.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX