Tight UJ Bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tight UJ Bearings
From: Rick Astley <ricka@mich.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 20:26:06 -0400
I am sure others have found laughable (or cryable perhaps) the advice in the
Haynes book, which is identical to the Workshop manual, that to remove MGB
UJ bearing caps, after removing the circlips, you tap on the yoke with a
copper hammer until the bearing cap emerges and then take them out with the
fingers.

I had to do a rather more than tapping to get the front ones out but the
rear one are proving totally stubborn buggers. I am trying to use wooden
buffers on the yoke side but the tapping on a socket I am using as a drift
has become a smash with a 5 lb hammer which has belled out the socket and is
peening over the edges of the hole on the yoke, which makes the situation
worse. Still the bearing won't emerge; although it's close.

I have also tried a larger socket on the "out" side and tried to press the
drift with a vice, still no luck.

Tips anyone, or the name of someone with a 5000 ton press in SE Michigan?

Rick