Re: Timing causing overheating?

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Timing causing overheating?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:36:44 EDT
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:24:04 -0400 (EDT) Trmgafun@aol.com writes:
>I'd like to hear some testimonials as far as what temperature others
>cars are
>reading at certain outdoor temperatures and what type of driving.
>Yesterday
>I took a trip to Howe, Indiana to participate in the Tea At The
>Vicarage
>Rally, and my car was running at around 210 degrees F.  The outdoor
>temperature was around 85 to 90 degrees.  The day before, I flushed my
>radiator but that didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.  Next
>guess I'll put in a cooler thermostat.  My engine has about 500 miles
>since a
>complete rebuild so it may be running a little hotter due to break-in.
> Maybe
>I need to change my timing??  Add an electric fan??
>
>Scott

 The temp here in  Upstate SC for the last week or so has been in the
high 90's, Saturday reaching 98. My BGT runs about 170-180 (assuming that
the "N" mark on the gauge is 180 degrees, which I read somewhere, but
forgot where).  I'm running, for the summer months, a 160 degree
thermostat, and when the cold gets back about October, I'll flush the
system again, and install a 195 degree thermostat. Usually, in the
winter, the temp runs between 180-190. In otherword, from the "N" to
about 1 needle width past, on the gauge.
Just my £.02 worth
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget