Re: Timing causing overheating?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Timing causing overheating?
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
On 7-22-97, ulix said:

>I think you should first calibrate your gauge by immersing the sending
>unit into a pot of water together with a kitchen thermometer (or the like)
>and heating the water.  Write down what reading corresponds to 190, 200,
>210, etc.  If you don't have a thermometer, boil the water and it will be
>212 degrees.
>After you have done this, you know you are not chasing a nonexisting
>problem.

Well today I borrowed a lab thermometer from work, checked it with boiling
water in a beaker, it check out OK, so I brought it home.  I started my car
(MGA) and let it run at around 2,000 RPM for about 10 to 15 minutes.  I then
removed the radiator cap, which I had left loose, and placed the thermometer
into the antifreeze.  My temperature gauge was reading just below 212 deg. F
and the lab thermometer read 84 deg. C, which is well below 212 deg. F.  If
this is an accurate way to compare the two, then I guess I have a problem
with my temperature gauge, and not the coolant system, which is good news.
 How is the gauge calibrated at this point?

Scott Helms