Re: Timing causing overheating?

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Timing causing overheating?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:00:33 -0400
Rick Morrison wrote:
> and frantically started pointing at my exhaust. It was glowing cherry
> red!. As I looked down, I also saw the broken spring, and quickly pushed
> the dizzy to full advance, Within a very few minutes, the pipes where
> back to normal

  Is there a chance that your timing was SO retarded that still-burning
fuel was being sent down the exhaust? Or that combustion was not
occuring causing raw fuel to get to the exhaust and burn later?

  The conventional viewpoint is that as long as combustion is
normal, advanced timing causes more heat for a few related
reasons.

  The burning fuel/air stays in the cylinder much longer, since
it becomes hot sooner but doesn't leave any sooner.

  As well, the fuel air mixture is hotter while the cylinder
is still at high compression, which allows the mixture to impart
more heat on it's surroundings.

  And finally, the cylinder doesn't enjoy as long of a
cooling interval where unburnt fuel mist and "cool" air are in
the combustion chamber.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada