O-Ring test

To: sohc4@dorje.com, Homebrew-Autos@bolis.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: O-Ring test
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 03:18:08 -0700
I was recently rebuilding some Japanese carburators, and needed some
o-rings for some of the fuel fittings. All the local part stores had
were 'standard' sizes, ie no metric. None of the standard sizes really
fit well, so.......
I spyed some of those colorful o-rings in the air conditioning section.
I bought the green ones. The package only mentioned the various
refrigerents that these o-rings were for, but not if they could be used
for other stuff.
So I did a test. While cleaning the carbs I put a regular 'black' 0-ring
in the tub along with a 'green' AC one. These were soaked in carb
cleaner, plus sour and new gas, and what ever else cruddy came off the
carbs. Both o-rings survived a four day soak with no problems. I then
pulled the o-rings apart with some pliers, the green split easier than
the black. The green was less elastic too. But neither was all that
different.
IMHO the green passed the test for fuel uses, and is now on the vechicle.
So, to make a long story short, check out the AC o-rings if you need
that certain size. Only $4 for ten too.
-Aron-
"in a frenzy"