Re: can driveshaft length cause diffi whine?

To: ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu, aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: can driveshaft length cause diffi whine?
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:16:12 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-23 05:17:08 EDT, ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU (Arthur
Pfenninger) writes:

> I wouldn't suspect the drive shaft, if it fits it's the right one.

This isn't totally true; it is possible to fit a non-OD driveshaft on a Type
D OD unit in the early B's.  The OD driveshaft is about 1" or maybe a little
more longer than a non-OD driveshaft; however they will both work .  The end
of the non-OD  shaft will pull out and reach the differential but it won't
look like the correct unit and it isn't. It will run , though.  I drove my
car like this for maybe a 1000 miles before I read about the difference on
this list a couple of years back.    It is possible that this could cause
some whining but I would be more inclined to think you might get some
vibration.

Hell, almost anything can cause whining in an MG...such as the SO occupying
the passenger seat.

Bruce Durgin
64 B