Re: Pros & cons`

To: Debra A Morrow <kaliphi@tabletoptelephone.com>
Subject: Re: Pros & cons`
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:43:39 -0400
Debra A Morrow wrote:
> I would like to know the pro & cons regarding the purist vs the
> hedonistic approch to maintaining the MG integrity.  If I do something
> to the car that I really want , do I truly devalue it or do I need to
> keep it forever once it has been defiled?

  The value of these cars at this time is still pretty much
driving value. Except for a bit for the As and a bit more
for the Ts. But most of these cars change hands for people
who want to drive them, and they pay what they think they
will get out of driving them.

  So, in other words, modifiations that increase practical
value are usually fine, even if they are not easily
reversed. Things like seat replacement, holes in the dash
for extra gauges, and so on. Generally not a problem.

  However, like mentioned before, it comes to taste. If
you put giant flares on the fenders and a huge whale
tail, that is just going to be tough to sell. Your vision
of the ultimate custom never matches anyone else's.

  Plus, people who want super-custom cars usually want
to design and build them, not buy them. There is an AWESOME
racing Midget for sale near me for much less than I would
pay to bring mine to that level. But I am not interested,
and they can't sell it, because if I wanted a car of that
level I want to make myself to my specs, not just
drop the cash.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada