Re: Chroming Prices

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:44:26 -0400
I've found that it's almost always cheaper, on our cars at least, to just
buy a new part.  The only time I've ever known anyone to chrome their parts
was one of three situations:
1.  The part is no longer available.
2.  The part was never originally chromed.
3.  The exception:  The new part is more expensive than a re-chromed part.

Regards,

----------
> From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
> To: Robert J. Donahue <rdonahue@holli.com>; mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
> Date: Thursday, July 24, 1997 4:10 AM
>
> Robert J. Donahue wrote:
> > This is costing $180. Is this reasonable? Was chrome plating always
this
> > expensive, or is this the doing of our arch enemy the EPA?
>
>   It was always expensive. The actual chroming is quick, it's
> the polishing that is a lot of skilled manual labour.
>
>   Practical Classics had a good article on this the other month. It
> was something like 12 steps to chroming, and the actual chrome was
> something like step 11.
>
> > BTW, where has the chrome gone on new cars? Nary a glimmer to be seen.
Is this