Re: Chroming Prices

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jason F. Dutt wrote:

> I've found that it's almost always cheaper, on our cars at least, to just
> buy a new part.  The only time I've ever known anyone to chrome their parts
> was one of three situations:
> 1.  The part is no longer available.
> 2.  The part was never originally chromed.
> 3.  The exception:  The new part is more expensive than a re-chromed part.

4.  The new part is a crappy reproduction, e.g. reproduced bumpers which
are thinner metal with very low quality chrome.  It's cheaper and better
to have the original bumper straightened and rechromed than to buy a new
one and have _it_ rechromed.  Make sure your bumper/chrome shop does a
good job on straightening, though.  I paid $175 for
straightening/rechroming a bumper bar and it's perfect. (I'm in Seattle)

                                                           '67 Sprite