Re: Chroming Prices

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: ewsinc@blazenet.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:05:31 -0400
Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> I'm getting these pieces from the TD re-chromed at the local chrome shop:
>
>         2 - headlight rims
>         2 - cowl brackets (holds the windscreen up)
>         2 - seat back brackets
>         2 - wheel arch retaining brackets
>         2 - wing nuts
>
> This is costing $180. Is this reasonable? Was chrome plating always this
> expensive, or is this the doing of our arch enemy the EPA? Well, I quess I
> shouldn't complain. A quick check of the catalogs shows it would cost far
> more to replace these parts.
>
> BTW, where has the chrome gone on new cars? Nary a glimmer to be seen. Is this
> a styling thing or a cost thing?
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> rdonahue@holli.com
> 52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting
Bob,

Here are some prices for rechroming that I had done in 1995 for my TD at
a local Harrisburg, PA shop who do a lot of antique car work:
        Headlight rings - $30 ea.
        Seat brackets - $30 ea.(seatback and wheel arch)
        Seat wing bolts - $5 ea.
                TOTAL   $190 which doesn't include w/s mounts or w/s
                wingnuts
I'd say $180 is a good price. Let me know how the quality is and who is
doing the work. Thanks.

Charlie
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB