Re: Paint codes (was: Black Tulip: More paint questions!)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: Paint codes (was: Black Tulip: More paint questions!)
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 16:19:56 +0000
MLishego@aol.com wrote:

> Is there a paint number anywhere on my MGB that tells me the original paint
> color?  Is there any way to find out what my original color was?  So far,
> I've discovered these colors on the car in various locales:
> Currently:  Black
>                  Red
>                  Brown Metallic
>                  Pale yellow
>                  BRG
>
> I believe that the BRG was original, since all of the insides are this color,
> like under the dash where no mortal man would paint.  However, the pale
> yellow paint job was a very good one, the insides of the engine bay have
> traces of the yellow under the black and before the BRG.  The brown was
> terrible, as of four years ago, the car was this color, I've seen pictures,
> and it's hideous.  The DPO bought it brown, then painted it red, and then
> switched to black.
> ~Mike Lishego

Mike - only the latest cars had the paint code as part of the VIN.  For the
others the
most accurate source is to obtain a Heritage Certificate for your car from
Gaydon.  The
following has been copied from the WEB:-

Statement of origin.- fee of &pound;10.00.

Technical data certificates -. The certificate details the technical data
required to
meet the relevant import regulations and costs from &pound;30.00.

To obtain your certificate, please send your fee and quote the make model and
chassis/car number of your vehicle to the following address:
     British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
     Archive Department,
     Heritage Motor Centre,
     Banbury Road, Gaydon.
     Warwick, CV35 0BJ
     ENGLAND
     Telephone: (01926) 641188 Fax: (01926) 641555
     30 minutes by car from Birmingham, Oxford, and Stratford-upon-Avon
     Get more info and current pricing and info from the BMIHT Web site:
     http://www.ipl.co.uk/MG/herit02a.html#Production

Cheers,
PaulH.