Re: TD Spark Plugs, 1/2 or 3/4 inch?

To: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Subject: Re: TD Spark Plugs, 1/2 or 3/4 inch?
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:08:44 -0400
Chip Old wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Robert J. Donahue wrote:
>
> > Bill Schooler's post about the TD having two different spark plug
> > reaches rung a bell. My plugs soot up fast also. The number cast into my
> > head is 22952.  Can anybody verify which plug is proper for 22952.
> > (Something is fishy here if you transpose the nine and five you get
> > 22592, which is suposed to be 1/2 in, maybe a typo?) I tried the wire
> > down the spark plug hole test suggested by Chip Old. I came up with 5/8
> > in, exactly half way between 1/2 and 3/4!
> >
> > So, anybody got a 22952 head? Please let me know what plug you use.
>
> The "22952" casting number indicates it is an early XPAG head (TB/TC/early
> TD).  Use 1/2 in reach plugs.

> Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
> Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
> fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

Chip,

Are you telling us that there's a typo in the T-Series Handbook?  In the
Golden Anniversary Edition, your article, "Back to Basics # 7 -
Ignition" carries the statement "All XPAG heads I have seen or heard
about which bear the number 22592 (I REPEAT 22592) are early heads,
which therefore require 1/2 in reach L-7 plugs."  Should that, in fact,
read 22952 as Bob suggests and you seem to confirm?

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/